Dungeons & Dragons Adventure System Board Games: Villain Variants



I have created a number of custom villain variants based off of the Dungeons & Dragons adventure system board games - that is Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, The Legend of Drizzt, Tomb of Annihilation and Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Having played through all of the games as well having spent a considerable amount of time creating my very own custom heroes, I decided to focus on the villains. My gaming group has a lengthy campaign kicking off in 2024 which will incorporate elements from all of the games as well as some custom scenarios. The updated villains on this blog post will all feature in our upcoming campaign.

For any fans of the D&D adventure systems who are eager for some harder challenges or stronger villains, feel free to use any of the below customs in your games.

Note: I don't own a copy of Temple of Elemental Evil but am hopeful that I can still scour the back alleyways of the inter-webs to source it at some point but for now, these are the only villain variants I have.


1. Castle Ravenloft: Vanimir Von Bludhaven (Vampire)



As part of my Return to Ravenloft Halloween special, I created a completely new villain as a descendent of Strahd Von Zarovich. Vanimir had some interesting tactics and mechanics which worked well with the mini-campaign and the idea of a 'moving castle' with a trong Castlevania type theme.

2. The Legend of Drizzt: Arachnae: Spider Queen (Drow Witch)

For the Legend of Drizzt, I crafted 2 new villains. For the first, I wanted a Drow Witch with a strong emphasis on spiders and spider-like attack and tactics. Arachnae is not easy villain to face. First off, she has a high HP so you're in for a long battle. Secondly, poisoned is your worst condition in your battle with her as any poisoned heroes take additional damage whenever she activates.

3. The Legend of Drizzt: Durin's Bane: Balor (Demon)

For the second villain in the LOD game, I wanted a villain that mimics the Balrog from Lord of the Rings. Be warned: This is probably the hardest adversary your group will ever encounter. With an HP of 27 and AC of 18, you would be better off making for the Bridge of Khazad Dhum and taking the advise of a certain wise Wizard: Fly, you fools!

4. Wrath of Ashardalon: Ashardalon II: Red Dragon (Dragon)

So, you thought you defeated Ashardalon in the Wrath of Ashardalon campaign? Well, think again cos Ashardalon II is here and man is she one mean beasty! With an AC of 20 and an HP of 20 you're in for the fight of your life. One wrong move and you're dragon toast!

5. Tomb of Annihilation: Acererak II Demi Lich (Undead)


Tomb of Annihilation featured one of my favorite villains from D&D lore: The Demi Lich Acererak. Unfortunately the game itself didn't give the titular villain the spotlight he deserved and I found him, well, slightly underwhelming. So I tweaked. This new version of Acererak has a spirit form version which he transforms into and which I thought would give him an even creepier edge. don't worry, the Spell deck still features!


6. Tomb of Annihilation: Stone Juggernaut II (Elemental)

I also tweaked my other favorite boss-villain from TOA: The Stone Juggernaut. This version is exclusive to the Ruin Of Ubtamar adventure I created and cannot really be used on it's own. Check out the adventure here.

7. Dungeon of the Mad Mage: Halaster Darkcloak (Human)

Lastly, for the Dungeon of the Mad Mage game, I built a stronger version of the titular villain - aptly named Halastar Darkcloak. Similar mechanics but with a lot more firepower, very high HP and dangerous attack tactics. Use at your peril!

Comments

  1. Hello, just wanted to say these enhanced villains are really great, (especially with large groups of Heroes, 4-5) and I've been pointing as many people as I can on BGG to this site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is much appreciated, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Roberto Gonzalez - Littlecub@hotmail.comJune 14, 2023 at 5:32 AM

    I have recently discovered your blog because I just purchased the first couple of games: WoA, LoD, and CR. Your material is simply AMAZING..!! I have started to download all the material of the RUIN OF NIMBAR.! Such great detail and effort..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. I cannot always guarantee that I will reply but you're more than welcome for tea.

Popular Posts