Return to Ravenloft Adventure 4: Vanimir's Moving Castle Part 1

 


"As the last blow fell and your adventuring party smote the carcass of the dreaded Dracolich Gravestorm upon the ruined dungeon floor, a cry of anguish and hate could be heard echoing throughout the castle.
The Master of Ravenloft is awakened and he is NOT pleased!
Eager to escape, your party retraced your steps and hastened to get back to village of Barovia but found the way back and out of the castle to have completely vanished.
You are trapped.
And then, the same cynical laugh and flashing red eyes appear in front of you and Vanimir Von Bludhaven speaks:
'Well, well, well. My revered guests! Your tenacity is indeed admirable. The Dracolich was loyal to our bloodline for generations. I will grieve its passing like one does for...family. Speaking of, I do hope you bid farewell to any of your loved and dear ones still holding out in that wretched village. Their lives, much like yours, are now forfeit. I will deal with Barovia in due course. As for you...my arcane magic now flows through the walls of these castle like blood through veins. Ravenloft is alive! Its floors move to my bidding, its walls shift, its many terrors bid you welcome. The stage is set, the lights are dimmed. So enter now again into my domain as welcome guests to the theater of death. My moving castle will be your doom!!'
As the eerie visage of the vampire lord dissipates, a strange green glow emanates from the cracked dungeon floors. In the distance you can hear a rumbling of demonic machinery and the horrifying sound of stone walls grinding and moving. There is arcane devilry at play here!"

I'm a huge fan of Netflix' Castlevania animated series and Dracula's castle with its machinations and ability to move from one place to another was really cool. I wanted a similar style mechanic in play for the last two adventures with this one having an 'escape the castle' objective. I would strongly recommend playing this adventure with at least 3 Heroes as it tends to be brutally challenging at lower player counts. Up the healing surges if you want to opt for an easier run through. The shifting tile mechanic might not appeal to everyone but I thought it brought an interest twist to the game. Let me know in the comments what you think!










Comments

Popular Posts